Are you working during Midsummer? Read this list for salary changes during Midsummer and other useful information.
If you are working over Midsummer, your salary will be calculated in different ways for each day of the holiday.
Salaries will be paid with a 100% increase for Midsummer Day.
Compensation for working on Midsummer Eve varies from one collective agreement to the next.
- In the commercial sector, a salary bonus for public holiday eves, equivalent to the Saturday bonus, must be paid for any work done after 18.00.
A permanent employee in the commercial sector must be given two of the four public holiday eves in a year as days off. Such holiday eves include Holy Saturday, Midsummer Eve, Christmas Eve and New Year’s Eve. If an employee has not been granted these days off, the employer must offer compensation in the form of a 100% increase to the pay rate for regular working hours scheduled for such days.
- In the hotel and restaurant sector, a salary increase of 50% will be paid for work completed after 15.00. Any evening and night bonuses as well as the supplement paid to the representative of a licence holder will be similarly increased.
- In the facilities services sector, work done on Midsummer Eve is compensated with a 100% salary increase.
- In the guarding sector, work on Midsummer Eve is similarly compensated with a 100% salary increase.
- In pharmacies, any work done after 12.00 will be compensated with a holiday eve supplement of €3.88 per hour.
Other sectors: check your collective agreement.
When calculating annual leave, Midsummer Eve or Midsummer Day are never considered days of leave.
Working hour systems
Different industries use different working hour systems, with different implications for weekday public holidays. This means that the work roster may mark a weekday public holiday as day off or an annual leave day if you are not scheduled to work on that day. More information on the different systems for different sectors is available here, in the compilation of information on working and salary bonuses around the end of the year.